Saturday, April 15, 2017

And We Are Off...

Friday April 7, 2017 Lahotan Dam, NV
4hrs driving-  160 miles

The days leading up to our departure we all felt a huge mix of emotions.  I couldn’t believe that it was actually here. I had been planning this road trip for months, but it always felt like just talk and conjecture. It didn’t help that nearly every person I told about the trip told me that I was crazy! The weeks leading up to our departure were chaotic with tons of extra school activities, planning for the remodel that will start while we are gone, and finishing everything on our to-do lists. Though, on Thursday I got the crazy idea that we should leave on Friday instead of Saturday to break up the 8+ hour drive that I had planned for our first day. It felt late as we rolled out of our driveway at 8pm on Friday night, but I just kept telling myself that we were actually 12 hours ahead of schedule! That first night we were aiming for Sand Mountain in Nevada. It was slower than we had expected since it was snowing for our drive over Donner Summit. We ended up stopping short of there and camped on an empty beach at Lahontan Dam. We couldn’t see much of the surroundings as we rolled in at exactly midnight  and set up camp. In the morning we could see that it was beautiful, but the intense wind made it kind of miserable. Ruby loved playing fetch on the empty beach. We made breakfast and quickly packed up to start our long drive.


Ryan's Journal:

Ella's Journal:


No comments:

Post a Comment